Drupal 8 integration
When you integrate Drupal 8 with Bynder, you can import assets from Bynder and upload assets to your brand portal. You can also display image styles imported from Bynder, matching the derivatives created.
Before you begin
- Make sure you have a Bynder account. Visit https://www.bynder.com/ for more information.
- Bynder uses OAuth to allow external applications to connect to it. Drupal will use this to integrate with Bynder. You need to generate API credentials before proceeding. If you want to generate your credentials see Create API tokens for your app.
This plugin supports Drupal 8. If you are upgrading from Drupal 7, uninstall the Drupal 7 plugin, and install the one for Drupal 8.
There are three basic derivative sizes created initially (webimage, mini and thul (thumbnail)). If you need more derivatives created, contact your Customer Success Manager. Since derivatives are generated on upload and are configured prior to the bulk media import, Bynder recommends creating Drupal-specific derivatives at the start of your implementation. If not, then you might encounter additional Professional Services fees for generating additional derivatives.
Installation and configuration
Follow the installation and configuration steps described on the Drupal website.
- You only need API credentials to configure the plugin for users. The users will later log in with their Bynder login and password.
- Currently we do not match Drupal and Bynder permission profiles. However, Bynder permission profiles are enforced, so users only see the assets they have access to.
Use the plugin
Upload assets to Bynder
Bynder uploader widget allows uploading assets from a Drupal site to Bynder. You can upload more than one file at a time. If the description text is provided it will be used for all assets that are uploaded in a given step. You need to log in before you can start uploading.
Depending on your Bynder permissions, the assets you upload from Drupal can go to the Waiting Room or directly to the Asset Library. You also need to be able to upload media to Bynder in your Bynder permission profile to upload files from Drupal.
After you have uploaded the asset, you can search for it on the description you provided. However, currently the files do not display any indication that they have been uploaded from Drupal.
Attach Bynder media to content
- To attach a Bynder asset to your content, open the content page and click Edit.
- Find the entity reference field used to store references to Bynder assets.
- Click the selection button to open the entity browser with the Bynder search widget. Use the search to search for the asset you need. You can use metaproperties and keywords to search.
- Click on the asset to select it.
- Click Select assets.
The content edit form will display the selected items in a grid. You can reorder them or remove them. If you need more assets, repeat the tasks to add more assets to the list.
You can search for assets on tags and description.
Edit Bynder media
- Go to Content > Media.
- Select the asset you want to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Introduce your changes and save.All edits of the metadata on the Drupal side are considered overrides and won’t be synced back to Bynder. In order to make changes permanent they need to be edited in Bynder. Click the edit asset's metadata on Bynder link to open the asset directly in Bynder.
- If the asset that is used in Drupal is updated in Bynder, it will also be updated in Drupal 8. The metadata will not be updated, though. However, you can configure the CDN to always point to the latest version of a file or to a specific version. The URL in Drupal does not get updated so depending on the CDN configuration it either serves the latest version or the version that was used when it was added.
- If the asset gets archived or deleted from Bynder, it will still be accessible in Drupal.