Connect Sitecore to Bynder
If you are a user of Sitecore CMS, you can use it together with Bynder. When your environment has been set up, you can import images from Bynder to use them in Sitecore. You can also sync with Bynder so that any changes to the images that were made in Bynder are also visible in Sitecore.
If you are an admin, you can schedule a regular update task to automatically update the images in Sitecore with the changes made in Bynder.
Bynder plugin for Sitecore
You can import assets from Bynder into Bynder folders within Sitecore's media library. To do this, you connect to Bynder from Sitecore and select the assets in Bynder Compact View. You can use the filters available in your Bynder portal to find the assets you need.
If assets get updated in Bynder, you can run a synchronization task so that the assets are also updated in Sitecore.
After the assets from Bynder are imported to the Sitecore media library, they can be inserted in the Rich Text Editor and image fields.
The Sitecore versions 8.x - 9.1 are supported.
When you import assets from Bynder to Sitecore the assets are imported with all their derivatives.
- Open the Content Editor.
- In the master database of Sitecore, open System > Modules > Experience Explorer > Bynder Settings > Default.
- Enter the EnvironmentURL. For example: https://www.byndair.getbynder.com. The URL is validated on the fly, so if it is not correct, a validation error displays.
- Enter the ConsumerKey, ConsumerSecret, TokenKey, and the TokenSecret. You can either generate those in your Bynder portal or get them from your Customer Success Manager. If you generate your own keys, see Create API tokens for your app.
- Save the changes.
- (Optional) To add another Bynder environment in Sitecore, you need to introduce changes to the master database of Sitecore. Go to System > Modules > Experience Explorer > Bynder Settings and add another environment, by for example, creating a copy of the Default and adjusting the details.
To change the environment you want to work with:
- Open the Media Library tab.
- Click the Bynder folder in the navigation tree.
- Click the button.
- Select the environment you want to work with.
- Verify that you have set your API user correctly. The API user you use to log in to import assets from Bynder to Sitecore must have the permissions in Bynder to view, edit, and download assets.
- (Optional) Set up automatic updates to pull changes from Bynder into Sitecore at a specific time. To do this, you need to introduce changes to the master database of Sitecore.
You can also check the Sitecore log files to see if the sync ran successfully.
- Go to System > Tasks> Schedules > Bynder > Update Media.
- Specify when the syncing should happen.
- Save your changes.
Use the plugin
- In the Home tab expand Media Library.
- Click Bynder.
- Click Import from Bynder.If an error displays when you try to import images, it might be due to your permission settings. In this case, you need to contact your administrator.
- Log in to the Bynder environment.If for some reason, the Compact View does not load, open a new tab, and log in to your Bynder environment there. Then, try logging in again from Sitecore.
- Select the assets from the Compact View and click OK. You can use the filters available in Bynder to search for the assets to import.
- The assets get imported to Bynder and placed in the Bynder folder.
- The imported asset is named according to the following pattern: assetName(no extension)-derivativeName. For example: myasset-Large.
- The alt field in Sitecore gets populated with the asset description as it is in Bynder. If the description is not present, the field is populated with the asset name.
- To import assets to a separate folder, open the Bynder folder and click the Media Folderbutton. Provide the name of the folder and click OK. If you import files from Bynder now, they will be imported into the new folder.
Whenever you import an asset or there is a new version of an asset, you need to approve it before you can use it.
- Open the Workbox tab.
- From the Workflows list, select Bynder Workflow.
- Select the items you want to use and click Approve (selected). The approved items are now ready to be used.
- To update an item, click on it. If you want to update the complete folder, click on the Folder in your navigation tree. The folder update, updates all children folders as well.
- Click the Update button for syncing to take place.If you are an admin, you can set up automatic syncing that takes place at a specific hour. See Automatic updates.
When assets in Bynder have been updated, and these changes have been imported to Sitecore, they are reflected in the item's details.
- The version field displays the version as it is in Bynder. The asset displayed will always be the active version available in Bynder. So if there are 3 versions of the asset in Bynder, the field will display 3. Sitecore has a separate versioning system, so an asset might have 3 versions in Bynder and only one in Sitecore.
- If the derivative name has been changed in Bynder, the sync will not be successful for an asset. You then need to re-import the asset to get the updated derivative.
- Currently we only support importing images from Bynder to Sitecore.
- Only basic asset information such as width, height and the MIME type are imported with the asset. Bynder metaproperties or tags are not imported.