Drupal 8 integration
When you integrate Drupal 8 with Bynder you can add image and document assets from Bynder to your Drupal 8 content using our Compact View. The integration ensures that the latest version of your Bynder assets is automatically reflected in your Drupal 8 content. Find out below how you can start making use of this integration.
Before you begin
- Make sure you have a Bynder account.
- Bynder uses OAuth to allow external applications to connect to it. Drupal will use this to integrate with Bynder. You need to generate API credentials before proceeding. If you want to generate your credentials see Create API tokens for your app.
This plugin supports Drupal 8. If you are upgrading from Drupal 7, uninstall the Drupal 7 plugin, and install the one for Drupal 8.
There are three basic derivative sizes created initially (webimage, mini and thul (thumbnail)). If you need more derivatives created, contact your Customer Success Manager. Since derivatives are generated on upload and are configured prior to the bulk media import, Bynder recommends creating Drupal-specific derivatives at the start of your implementation. If not, then you might encounter additional Professional Services fees for generating additional derivatives.
Installation and configuration
Follow the installation and configuration steps described on the Drupal website.
- You only need API credentials to configure the plugin for users. The users will later log in with their Bynder login and password.
- Currently we do not match Drupal and Bynder permission profiles. However, Bynder permission profiles are enforced, so users only see the assets they have access to.
Use the plugin
Upload assets to Bynder
Bynder uploader widget allows uploading assets from a Drupal site to Bynder. You can upload more than one file at a time. If the description text is provided it will be used for all assets that are uploaded in a given step. You need to log in before you can start uploading.
Depending on your Bynder permissions, the assets you upload from Drupal can go to the Waiting Room or directly to the Asset Library. You also need to be able to upload media to Bynder in your Bynder permission profile to upload files from Drupal.
After you have uploaded the asset, you can search for it on the description you provided. However, currently the files do not display any indication that they have been uploaded from Drupal.
Add Bynder assets to Drupal 8 content
- To attach a Bynder asset to your content, open the content page and click Select assets in the Media Assets section.
- The Compact View will open. If your company's Bynder portal URL is already filled in in the pop-up, click Connect. If not, enter the URL in the below format. A popup will open, which allows you to login to your Bynder environment.
- Login to the portal in the usual way.
- In the Asset tab use the filter bar or search bar filter and search for the assets you need. Select the files(s) you need and click Add asset(s) to add the asset(s) to your Drupal content. In the Collection tab select the collection that you want to add or click the collection and select the file(s) you want to add. Click Add asset(s) to add the asset(s) to your Drupal 8 content.
- Click Save to save the changes.
Edit Bynder assets in Drupal
- Go to Content > Media.
- Select the asset you want to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Introduce your changes and save.All edits of the metadata on the Drupal side are considered overrides and won’t be synced back to Bynder. In order to make changes permanent they need to be edited in Bynder. Click the edit asset's metadata on Bynder link to open the asset directly in Bynder.
Remove Bynder assets from Drupal
- Go to Content > Media.
- Select the asset(s) you want to remove.
- Click the button next to the Edit button and click Delete.
- Read the warning message and click Delete to permanently remove the asset in Drupal.This action cannot be undone.
- If the asset that is used in Drupal is updated in Bynder, it will also be updated in Drupal 8. The metadata will not be updated, though. However, you can configure the CDN to always point to the latest version of a file or to a specific version. The URL in Drupal does not get updated so depending on the CDN configuration it either serves the latest version or the version that was used when it was added.
- If the asset gets archived or deleted from Bynder, it will still be accessible in Drupal.