Metaproperties are metadata that you use to classify and define your assets better. They help categorize assets and search through them. Metaproperties can have an unlimited number of options, which are sub-categories of metaproperties. For example, the Continent metaproperty can have Asia, Africa or Australia as options.
You can create metaproperties and their options before you upload your assets or, if you have a feature enabled, you can also create options when you upload assets. See Add metaproperty options on upload.
Mass Version Updater, Mass Uploader and the standard Uploader also allow for importing assets with their metaproperties. The metaproperties that accompany the uploaded assets are automatically matched to the metaproperties that exist in the system.
You can also manage who can see the metaproperty or a specific metaproperty option.
Before you begin
- You need to have the Metaproperties management and Metaproperty options management rights to manage metaproperties and their options.
- Go to Settings > Taxonomy > Metaproperties management.
- Click + Add.
- Enter the Name for the metaproperty. The name must be a unique value and cannot have any special characters, spaces or capital letters.
- Enter the Label. Label is the metaproperty name that users will see in the system. It can have spaces and capital letters.
- Expand Language labels to add the labels in different languages. If you enter the translations, they will display when the user changes the language of the portal.
- Select the Type for the metaproperty.
In the Order options by field select whether the metaproperty options should be ordered alphabetically or by a Z-index. The Z-index specifies the order in which the metaproperty options are displayed. The lower the Z-index value, the higher the metaproperty option will be displayed in the list. So an option with a Z-index of 1 will be positioned at the top of the list, whereas an option with a Z-index of 10 will be displayed more towards the bottom of the list.Available types:
- Select - this is the default option. It is mandatory for creating main filters. The mataproperty enables users to choose from predefined values.
- Autocomplete - when you start typing your value, then if the value is found suggestions display. If the value is not found, you can add a new one.
- Text - allows for entering value in a text field. You cannot filter on text metaproperties but you can search on keywords in the text. This type can be used to enter data such as barcode or extra photographer-related information. When you create a text metaproperty and change the type later, the text value will be lost.
You can also put a direct download or a regular link in the text metaproperty. In the case of a direct download link, when users click the link the download of the file will start automatically. This can be helpful if the documents you want to link to are stored in another system, and you want to give users easy access to them.
- Longtext - similar to the Text type but with additional support for line breaks and multiple lines.
- Side bar - display the metaproperty property in the left-hand side sidebar.
- Date - allows users to specify a date as this metaproperty option.
- Linked assets - enables relating assets with one another.
- Brandstore categories - displays categories in Brand Store.
- Button - creates a button with the metaproperty label and the specified URL link. This can be useful in Workflow to help users locate the templates they should use.
- Workflow job - enables linking assets to workflow jobs to better track asset history. See Link assets to workflow jobs.
- Select2 - combines the properties of the Select and Autocomplete types. See Use the combined benefits of the autocomplete and the select metaproperties.
- Select one or multiple metaproperty filter options. The number of available options depends on the selected metaproperty Type.Available filter options
- Multiselect - enables selecting multiple options of the metaproperty on upload and editing.
- Multi filter - enables selecting multiple values in the main filter on the Asset detail page. For this metaproperty to show in the main filter bar, it needs to be added to Smartfilters.Changes in the Smartfilter setup need to be made on Bynder's side. Reach out to your Customer Success Manager for any necessary changes.
- Searchable - allows for the metaproperty to be indexed and available as a search term. You might not want this option selected for Limited assets.
- Editable - if you do not select this option, this metaproperty will not display in the Edit mode on the Asset detail page.
- Filterable - enables filtering on the metaproperty. If you do not select this option it will not show as a filter but will still display among main filters on the Asset detail page. This option should be selected by default.
- Apifield - makes this metaproperty available in the API.
- Display field - if you do not select this option it disappears from the Info tab on the Asset detail page but remains available as a filter and in the Edit tab on the Asset detail page.
- Required - makes the metaproperty required for an asset to be uploaded or edited. Adds an asterisk to the metaproperty to indicate that it is mandatory.
- Main Filter - if not selected, the metaproperty will display in the Advanced tab under Custom fields on the Asset detail page. If the option is selected, it will be displayed among main filters.If a metaproperty is not a main filter, defining dependencies and access management are not possible.
- Drilldown results - if you filter for a metaproperty, the filter will narrow down the results to the selected metaproperty and the related metaproperties. Other filters will not display. If you clear this option, you can select multiple values in the metaproperty filter and Bynder will display the combined results.
- Use dependencies -when you select this option in combination with the Side bar metaproperty type, and go to the Yourwebsitename/select/metapropertyx URL and click on an option in that view, then the sidebar with all metaproperties and their options will display next to the assets linked to this metaproperty options.
- Empty options in filter - add an option to filter to display assets that do not have this metaproperty selected.
- Export field - enables the export of metaproperties and thier options in XMP or a CSV file. The option displays when you select assets to download. See Download assets with metadata.
- Hide public - is hidden for the users who are not logged-in.
- Show in list view - displays next to the asset thumbnail when the asset overview displays as the list view. This option is available for select, select2, text and long text metaproperties.
- Show in grid view - displays next to the asset thumbnail when the asset overview displays as the grid view. This option is available for select, select2, text and long text metaproperties.
- Show in duplicate view - displays this metaproperty in Duplicate finder. It might be useful since the same assets might have different metaproperties linked. This option is available for select, select2, text and long text metaproperties.
- Show in contact sheet view - displays next to the asset thumbnail when the asset overview displays as the contact sheet view. This option is available for select, select2, text and long text metaproperties.You need to have the view-contact-sheet feature enabled to see this filter.
- Hide options without dependencies - if selected, the options that do not have dependencies set up will be hidden in the upload, single and multi-edit view. This filter option is only working for Select2 metaproperties.You might want to use this option when users create metaproperties and dependencies through the API, and there is significant time before the creation of dependencies and the metaproperty options. This option has been created to prevent users from using the options before their dependencies have been set.
- Add as section in the spotlight results - if selected, the search results for this metaproperty will be displayed as a separate section. If you also select Filter in meta property detail page as the Spotlight target, then when you click the section, it will take you to a separate page for this metaproperty in PIM.
- Click + Add Options to add options to your metaproperty.
- (Optional) If you want to keep the metaproperty hidden from specific users or user groups, select this group or users in the Hide metaproperty box and select the Hide metaproperty checkbox. To add more groups or users , click the plus icon.Hiding metaproperty hides data not assets. Assets are hidden from users only if you also hide the metaproperty options.
- (Optional) If download files with XMP metadata, you can decide to which namespaces the mataproperty values will be written. Enter the tags in the Write metadata to namespace field in the following format:
For more information on downloading files with metadata, see Download assets with metadata.
- (Optional) If you want to make this metaproperty dependent on the values of other metaproperties, select the metaproperties to link this metaproperty to in the Metaproperty Dependencies box. In this way, users will see this metaproperty only if they select values from the linked metaproperty. See Set up metaproperty dependencies.
- (Optional) If you use Product Information Management (PIM), you might want to define the children of this metaproperty. In this way, the children metaproperties will always display when the parent metaproperty is displayed. Additionally, when you select the children metaproperties as required, users will have to select them when they upload an asset.
When you have chosen a child of the metaproperty, you can also assign a value that will be linked to the assets that have specific options of this metaproperty selected. Click + Add Options and click to edit an option. Select the value in the child metaproperty filed and save your changes.
- Save your changes.
- Go to Settings > Taxonomy > Metaproperties management.
- Hover your cursor over the metaproperty you want to edit.
- Click on the pencil icon that displays to edit the metaproperty.You can change mataproperty type without the loss of data if the Type is not Text or Longtext. Changing from or to text will result in your data being lost.
You can only delete metaproperty options, but not metaproperties themselves. To delete options, go to Settings > Taxonomy > Metaproperties management, click next to a metaproperty, and delete its options.
If you want the metaproperty itself not to be visible, edit the metaproperty and set it as Hidden filter.
To delete the metaproperty, contact your Customer Success Manager.
- If you delete a metaproperty, all the metadata selected on upload remains embedded in assets. In this way, if you at a later point decide to create the same metaproperty again, the original metaproperty data will already be available in the assets.
- If you delete a metaproperty, all the dependencies and custom triggers that are linked to it will be deleted as well.
Edit metaproperty options
- Go to Settings > Taxonomy > Metaproperties management.
- Click the icon for the metaproperty for which you want to adjust the options.
Manage which data displays on the Asset detail page
You can add or hide the data that display on the page.